189 Visa

Skilled Independent (Subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa is a points-tested permanent visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an Australian employer, family member or nominated by a state or territory.

Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) applicants must obtain a minimum of 65 points on the point assessment.

To apply for this visa, you must submit an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited by SkillSelect.

Upon receiving an invitation to apply for this visa, you have 60 days to submit your application.

Once the 189 Visa (Skilled Independent) Visa has been granted, the visa holder and accompanying family members are are able to live, work and study in Australia as permanent residents.

Take our free online points test to find out if you may be eligible to apply for a Skilled Independent Visa

skilled independent visa

You may be able to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa if you meet the following requirements:


Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.

You must perform a successful skill assessment through the authorised assessing authority to show that you have the skills and qualifications to work in your chosen occupation.


You must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply for this visa

You must score a minimum of 60 points to be invited to apply.

You must meet the points score eligibility at the time you are invited to apply for the visa.

Calculate your points


You can provide evidence of competent english


You are under 45 when you receive an invitation to apply


You must meet the health & character requirements

If you have any questions about these requirements or would like to discuss your Expression of Interest or 189 visa application contact us

See processing times


Applicants can include the following people in their transitional permanent residency application:

  • Married or de facto partner
  • Dependent children/step-children


Applicants over 18 must demonstrate Functional English or pay an additional fee.

You can demonstrate Functional English without IELTS if you:

  • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.


  • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.


Children 23 years and over cannot be included in your application. (Unless there are exceptional circumstances)


All family members must meet the health and character requirements. All applicants over 16 must provide police clearances.

If you have any questions about these requirements or would like more information on who you can include on your 189 application contact us

Apply now, pay later. Find out if you are eligible to get finance for your visa


Fed Pomer
Hi, my name is Fed Pomer, an Associate Manager from a large, multinational management consulting and information technology company. It is with great pleasure that I am writing this letter for Australian Skilled Migration for all the steadfast work and diligent assistance that they have provided me in securing my Subclass 189 Skilled-Independent Permanent Resident visa to Australia.

A few months ago, migrating and living permanently to Australia seemed an impossible and unreachable dream. Until, last May 2014, one of the best and most unforgettable days in my life transpired. It was on that day that Australian Skilled Migration advised me that my application for Permanent Residency in Australia has been approved by the Australian Government. On that day, my dream has become a marvelous reality. And I would always remember how the friendly and brilliant team of the Australian Skilled Migration has helped me to achieve this visa.

Australia’s migration visa processing is a tough and time-consuming process to undertake, but through the professional assistance and excellent services from the Australian Skilled Migration team, they made the process easier for me to understand and comprehend. As a potential migrant, I obviously had a lot of questions and inquiries all throughout our visa processing. Nevertheless, Australian Skilled Migration was very patient with my never ending questions and I am delighted that they have always updated me with the latest developments on my visa processing and migration developments in Australia. These guys do know what they are doing.

As I end this letter, my sincerest thank you goes to each and everyone in the Australian Skilled Migration team for helping me in my visa processing and turning my dream into a reality. All I could wish for Australian Skilled Migration is their continued success and all the very best in the future. You have been a blessing to me and I wish that you may never tire to be a blessing also to more people, by helping them fulfill their Australian aspirations and ambitions. I am heading very soon to Australia and it still feels like a dream. Thanks a lot Australian Skilled Migration.Testimonial - General skilled visa

Stay updated on the latest immigration news
Subscribe to our newsletter

189 Independent Visa

If you would like to know if you are eligible to apply for a Skilled Independent Visa, you can take our free eligibility assessment online now.

Australian Skilled Migration can assist you with the following:

  • A successful Skilled Assessment
  • Preparing your Expression of Interest
  • Lodging your visa application
  • Managing your bridging visas
  • Liaising with the Department of Immigration until your visa is approved

If you would like more information on the Skilled Independent Visa, you can book a consultation to speak to one of our registered migration agents.

189 independent visa ASM