The 189 visa is a points-tested permanent visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an Australian employer
The Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa allows skilled people to migrate to Australia permanently.
189 Visa holders can:
• be in or outside Australia when making the application
• work and study anywhere in Australia
• sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
• apply for Australian Citizenship (If eligible) Read More
The Benefits of Obtaining a Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 Visa
For those who are interested in moving permanently to Australia in order to start a new life, the Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189 offers a number of excellent benefits. Unlike some other visas which require a new resident to move to the particular state or territory which sponsored them, the 189 Visa gives you total freedom to live, work and study anywhere you choose in Australia.
You can also sponsor relatives to come with you, access free schooling for your children and obtain home loans, Medicare and Centrelink social security. And whereas many visas require you to have an existing offer of employment, with the Skilled Migration 189 Visa you can legally move to Australia based entirely on your skills and your ability to meet the necessary points threshold.
Why Choose Australian Skilled Migration to Get Your Permanent Skilled Migration Visa to Australia?
Here at Australian Skilled Migration, we have over 50 years of experience in the Australian recruitment industry. In 2004 our founder began to realise the importance of being able to recruit from overseas, and by 2010 ASM was founded. We are passionate about being the most trusted and respected international recruiter and migration partner for those looking to move to and work in Australia, and our highly trained and experienced team work tirelessly to maintain an unrivalled rate of success for our clients.
Get Started Today with a Quote, Webinar or Consultation
You can find out whether the permanent skilled migration visa Australia offers is the right visa option for you by chatting with our friendly team, who are always more than happy to answer your questions and assist you in any way. With our help, you will be on the right track to obtain your Subclass 189 Visa with minimal stress or hassle.
There are many other visa options available, such as an Employer Sponsored Visa or the Skilled Migrant Visa. Get in touch with us if you need more information about your migration options to Australia. Read Less
The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa is a points-tested permanent visa for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an Australian employer, family member or nominated by a state or territory.
Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) applicants must obtain a minimum of 65 points on the point assessment.
To apply for this visa, you must submit an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited by SkillSelect.
Upon receiving an invitation to apply for this visa, you have 60 days to submit your application.
Once the 189 Visa (Skilled Independent) Visa has been granted, the visa holder and accompanying family members are are able to live, work and study in Australia as permanent residents.
Applying for a 189 Visa
To be eligible to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa, applicants must:
• have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
• complete a successful skill assessment for the relevant occupation
• have at least competent English
• score at least 65 points. Calculate your points
• be invited to apply
189 Visa Eligibility
You may be able to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visaif you meet the following requirements:
OCCUPATION & SKILLS
Your occupation must be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.
You must perform a successful skill assessment through the authorised assessing authority to show that you have the skills and qualifications to work in your chosen occupation.
POINTS TEST & INVITATION
You must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply for this visa
You must score a minimum of 65 points to be invited to apply, however, invitations are often issued to applicants with more than 65 points.
The most recent invitation round outlines the point scores which attracted invitations. There are also some occupations which require more than 65 points to be considered.
You must meet the points score eligibility at the time you are invited to apply for the visa.
Improve your English score through an Online English Academy
You are under 45 when you receive an invitation to apply.
HEALTH & CHARACTER
You must meet the health & character requirements
If you are a New Zealand Citizen, you may be eligible to apply for the New Zealand Stream 189 Visa instead.
See processing times
189 Visa Application Fee Estimator
Include your family
189 visa applicants may be able to include the below family members to their application
-> Dependent children/step-children
-> Partner’s dependent child or children
Your married or de facto partner can be the same or opposite sex. Applicants must prove:
• the relationship is genuine and continuing
• your partner is at least 18 years of age when the application is lodged (there are some exceptions)
• you are not related by family (if you are in a de facto relationship)
• you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others, and
• you live together, or do not live separately on a permanent basis.
To be eligible to be included or added to a 189 visa, a child must:
• be your child or a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship (in certain circumstances);
• not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner; and must be:
• under 18 years of age
• over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner
• over 23 years of age and be unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and be dependent on you or your partner (Note: The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement)
• a dependent child of a child who is eligible under 1, 2 or 3 above.
Applicants over 18 must demonstrate Functional English. You can demonstrate Functional English without taking an English test if you:
• hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland
• have completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
• have completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
• have completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
• have completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
You can choose to pay an additional application fee for family members who have less than functional English.
HEALTH & CHARACTER
All family members must meet health and character requirements. All applicants over 16 must provide police clearances.
How it works
Our migration agents lodge your expression of interest with the Department
We wait to receive an invitation from the Department to apply for your visa
You and your family migrate to Australia after receiving your visa approval
Need more information or have questions about the 189 visa?
Our agents regularly conduct FREE live webinars. This is your chance to ask questions and receive free help to get started. Register now to reserve your spot.