491 Visa

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Subclass 491 visa

Applying for a 491 (Provisional) Visa

To be eligible to apply for this visa, you must

The Subclass 491 Skilled work visa allows skilled workers to come to Australia and live in a regional area for up to five years.

491 Visa holders can

  • live, work and study in Australia for up to five years
  • include immediate family
  • study in Australia
  • transition to permanent residency (if eligible)

Find out if you are eligible to apply for the Regional Skilled 491 Visa?


You must be invited to apply for this visa. To do so, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)

Nomination or Sponsorship

You must be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency or be sponsored by an eligible relative.

Score 65 points

You must score 65 points in order to receive an invitation to apply for this visa. Calculate your points


You must be aged under 45 to be invited to apply for the visa, meaning, you can still apply for the visa if you turn 45 after receiving the invitation

If you turn 45 after submitting your EOI and you haven’t received an invitation,  you will not one.

Skill Assessment

You must have a positive Skill Assessment, in your nominated occupation, from the relevant assessing authority unless you are exempt.

Some applicants may be exempt if you are a medical or legal practitioner*


You must have at least Competent English to apply for this visa

Health & Character

You must meet the health and character requirements (Unless you are exempt)

Planning to apply for the Skilled Regional 491 Visa?


Applicants can include the following people in their 491 application:

  • Married or de facto partner
  • Dependent children/step-children


Your married or de facto partner can be the same or opposite sex. Applicants must prove:

  • your partner is at least 18 years of age when the application is lodged (there are some exceptions)
  • you are not related by family (if you are in a de facto relationship)
  • the relationship is genuine and continuing
  • you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others, and
  • you live together, or do not live separately on a permanent basis.


To be eligible to be included or added to this visa, a child must:

  • be your child or a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship (in certain circumstances);
  • not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner; and must be:
    1. under 18 years of age
    2. over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner
    3. over 23 years of age and be unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and be dependent on you or your partner (Note: The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement)
    4. a dependent child of a child who is eligible under 1, 2 or 3 above.

Health & Character

All family members must meet health and character requirements. All applicants over 16 must provide police clearances.

Planning to apply for the Skilled Regional 491 Visa?

Stay updated on the latest immigration news
Subscribe to our newsletter

491 Visa

If you would like to apply for another employer-sponsored or skilled visa, you may be eligible to apply for one of the below visas:

If you would like to discuss your Australian visa eligibility with a registered migration agent, click here to book a consultation.

Skilled Work Regional 491 visa ASM
Not sure what COVID-19 means for you?Book a phone or Skype consultation to speak to a registered migration agent.

Let us start planning your pathway to Australian Permanent Residency today.