The 491 visa allows skilled workers live in a regional area of Australia for up to five years.
You must be invited to apply for this visa. To do so, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)
491 visa holders can:
-> Live, work and study in Australia for up to five years
-> Include immediate family
-> Study in Australia
-> Transition to permanent residency (if eligible)
Nomination or Sponsorship
You must be nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency or be sponsored by an eligible relative.
Score 65 points
You must score 65 points in order to receive an invitation to apply for this visa. Calculate your points
You must be aged under 45 to be invited to apply for the visa, meaning, you can still apply for the visa if you turn 45 after receiving the invitation
If you turn 45 after submitting your EOI and you haven’t received an invitation, you will not one.
You must have a positive Skill Assessment, in your nominated occupation, from the relevant assessing authority unless you are exempt.
Some applicants may be exempt if you are a medical or legal practitioner*.
You must have at least Competent English to apply for this visa.
Health & Character
You must meet the health and character requirements (Unless you are exempt).
Applying for a 491 (Provisional) Visa
To be eligible to apply for this visa, you must:
-> You must be aged under 45 to be invited to apply for the visa, meaning, you can still apply for the visa if you turn 45 after receiving the invitation
-> Be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative
-> You must have a positive Skill Assessment, in your nominated occupation, from the relevant assessing authority unless you are exempt
-> Demonstrate competent English
-> You must have an occupation on a relevant skilled occupation list
-> Score 65 points. Calculate your points here
-> Meet the health and character requirements
How long will it take to get a decision on your 491 visa?
Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491)– State/Territory Government Nominated Regional:
75% of visas are processed within 58 days
90% of visas are processed within 76 days
Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491)– Family Sponsored Regional:
75% of visas are processed within 57 days
90% of visas are processed within 71 days
Include your family
Applicants can include the following people in their 491 application:
-> Dependent children/stepchildren
Your married or de facto partner can be the same or opposite sex. Applicants must prove:
• the relationship is genuine and continuing
• you live together, or do not live separately on a permanent basis.
• your partner is at least 18 years of age when the application is lodged (there are some exceptions)
• you are not related by family (if you are in a de facto relationship)
• you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
To be eligible to be included or added to this visa, a child must:
• be your child or a stepchild from a current or a previous relationship (in certain circumstances);
• not be married, engaged to be married, or have a de facto partner; and must be:
• under 18 years of age
• over 18 years of age but not yet turned 23, and be dependent on you or your partner
• over 23 years of age and be unable to earn a living to support themselves due to physical or cognitive limitations and be dependent on you or your partner (Note: The child will still need to meet Australia’s health requirement)
• a dependent child of a child who is eligible under 1, 2 or 3 above.
HEALTH & CHARACTER
All family members must meet health and character requirements. All applicants over 16 must provide police clearances.
If you would like to apply for another employer-sponsored or skilled visa, you may be eligible to apply for one of the below visas:
If you would like to discuss your Australian visa eligibility with a registered migration agent, click here to book a consultation.
Need more information or have questions about the 491 visa?
Our agents regularly conduct FREE live webinars. This is your chance to ask questions and receive free help to get started. Register now to reserve your spot.