Frequently Asked Questions

What is the best visa for me?

Our Registered Migration Agents can assess your personal information and qualifications to help you find the most suitable Australian Visa for your specific circumstances. The Australian government changes the Australia Immigration regulations every year, making it essential to get the most up to date information before lodging any visa application. At Australian Skilled Migration, our visa eligibility assessments are free.

How do I meet the character requirement for an Australian Visa?

For the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to determine whether you are of good character, they may request police clearances from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more, within the last 10 years.

Who can certify my original documents?

Australian Skilled Migration’s Registered Migration Agents can certify your original documents. Other people who can certify your original documents include Public Notaries, Justice of the Peace, Magistrates, Solicitors and Commissioners of Affidavits. (This may vary from country to country)

How do I include my family on my 457 Visa?

You can add your spouse and other dependent family members to your 457 Visa once you have met all requirements set by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Contact us for a full list of requirements.

Why do I need health insurance on a 457 Visa?

All Subclass 457 Visa holders are subject to visa condition 8501. This condition requires all 457 visa holders and all accompanying family members to maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia. Visa holders who DO NOT comply with this condition may have their visa cancelled.

What work restrictions apply to the secondary applicant of a 457 visa?

The secondary applicant of a Subclass 457 employer sponsored visa has no work restrictions.

I’m on a 457 visa. Can I change employers?

Yes, you can change employers on a 457 visa.

When you find a new employer willing to sponsor you, you must ensure the business is an approved business sponsor and have nominated you for the position you intend to work. You cannot commence work for this employer until your nomination has been approved.

At Australian Skilled Migration, we often have 457 visa holders come to us wanting to leave their current employer. We can assist you to find a new employer.

I’m on a 457 visa and my employer has terminated my employment. What can i do?

If you leave your nominating employer while on a 457 visa, you have 90 days to find a new sponsor.

When you find a new employer willing to sponsor you, you must ensure that the employer is an approved business sponsor and nominates you for an appropriate position. You cannot commence work for a new employer until the new nomination is approved.

How do I become a permanent resident once I hold a 457 Visa?

There are a number of ways you can achieve this.

The below four visas are the most common pathways for a 457 Visa holder to become a permanent resident:

  • Subclass 186 Visa (Employer Nominated)
  • Subclass 187 Visa (Employers Sponsored Migration)
  • Subclass 189 Visa (Skilled Independent)
  • Subclass 190 Visa (Skilled Nominated)

The permanent Subclass 186 (ENS) and Subclass 187 (RSMS) visas can be attained via Direct Entry or via the Temporary Residence Transition stream (TRT). A 457 Visa holder can apply for the 186 or 187 visas after working in Australia for the same employer for at least two years. A Direct Entry application may be lodged anytime before you have worked for the same employer for two years but may have additional skills assessment and english requirements. Find out more about the Subclass 186 and 187 permanent visas here.

The Subclass 189 and 190 visas require an EOI and an invitation to apply. These visas do not rely on an employer nomination. Find out more about the 189 and 190 permanent visas here.

Can I add my partner to my student visa?

A partner may be added to your student visa if you disclosed your relationship to the DIBP at the time of application or if the relationship started after your student visa was granted.

You must be able to prove a de facto relationship of at least 12 months. Your partner and your partner’s children may be added to your student visa

Does my Subclass 820 provisional Partner visa have any travel restrictions?

No, you may travel in and out of Australia for the duration this provisional Partner visa.

Does my Subclass 820 Partner visa have any work restrictions?

No, there aren’t any work restrictions on this visa.

When can i apply for Australian Citizenship?

  • You must have been living in Australia (holding a valid Australian visa) for four years immediately before applying for Citizenship. This four years must include 12 months as an Australian Permanent Resident.
  • You must not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in the last 4 years.

FAQ didnt solve your problem?

Here are several ways to contact us

Book Online

Book a consultation to discuss your visa and migration queries with one of our experienced migration agents in Melbourne. Click here

Contact Us

If you have a question that wasn’t answered above, click here to send us an email and someone from our friendly team will be in contact with you shortly.

Why choose Australian Skilled Migration?

We pride ourselves on providing an exceptional and personalised service to every one of our clients. Your entire case will be handled by one of our senior migration agents, who will keep you updated every step of the way.

Will there be any hidden fees?

No! Australian Skilled Migration work on fixed priced contracts so you will know exactly what you will be paying for and how much, before the processing of your application begins.

Getting started with your Visa Application

If you would like to proceed with your visa application through Australian Skilled Migration, contact us for a no-obligation quote.

We have a number of payment and finance options available to eligible clients.

Whether you need our full migration service or assistance with your DIY visa application, our team of Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne will have a solution tailored to your individual needs.