On Friday morning, the Australian Coalition Government announced that it will be introducing a new Temporary Parent Visa. This new Parent Visa will allow Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens to sponsor their parents to live in Australia for up to five years.
The Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Alex Hawke said:
The Turnbull Government recognises that many Australian migrant communities face particular pressures through the separation of children from parents and grandchildren from grandparents.
Key details of this new Temporary Parent Visa:
- This new visa will be in place by July 2017
- Although the visa application charges have not been released, Minister Hawke said it will be ‘more affordable than current arrangements.’
- Parents must have private health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia
- Sponsors must provide evidence of financial support for their parents while in Australia
- Australian citizens, permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens will be eligible to sponsor their parents
- Community will be consulted regarding this new visa and community leaders have been invited to make submissions about the policy’s features and submit it on [email protected] by midnight, Monday 31st October 2016.
The introduction of this new Parent Visa will mean Australians will have a more realistic option to spend time with their parents.
For information on our other services Click Here