Partner Visa

These visas are for the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. Heterosexual and same-sex couples may apply for an Australian partner visa.

Partner visas are granted in two stages. The first is a two year provisional visa. After this period, couples are reassessed against the criteria of the permanent visa.

Depending on whether the applicant is inside or outside Australia at the time of application will determine which visa they are eligible to apply for.

Planning to apply for a Partner Visa?

ONSHORE – PARTNER VISA Subclass 820 & 801 

Applicants inside Australia may apply for the Partner Visa Subclass 820/801.

OFFSHORE PARTNER VISA Subclass 309 & 100

Applicants outside Australia may apply for the Partner Visa Subclass 309/100.


The provisional partner visas (Subclass 820 and Subclass 309) are granted for an indefinite period (until superseded by the permanent partner visa) and are conditional that the relationship of the applicants meets the criteria of the permanent visa.


After the two year waiting period of the Provisional Partner Visa, the Department of Immigration will assess applicants against the Permanent Partner Visa criteria.

Applicants must be able to prove they are still in a relationship with their partner or spouse.

Once approved, the Permanent Partner Visa is unconditional and the visa holder may live in Australia indefinitely whether or not the relationship continues.

Our team of Migration Agents are experts in Australian Partner Visa applications and can help determine your eligibility for this visa in a professional and timely manner. We have assisted hundreds of clients with the preparation of their partner and family visa applications that meet the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s requirements.