The Department of Immigration and Border Protection have recently released the occupational ceilings for the Skilled Migration Programme for the 2014-2015 financial year.
Registered Nurses remain the most sought-after occupation in the Australian workforce judging by the occupational ceiling numbers, with more than double the quota of most other occupations on the list.
The occupational ceilings limit the number of invitations issued by the Department of Immigration for general skilled migration for each occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL). Occupational ceilings do not apply to Employer Sponsored, Business Innovation and Investment visas or State or Territory Nominated visas.
Top 10 Occupations:
1. Registered Nurses – 15042 positions
2. Electricians – 7854 positions
3. Carpenters and Joiners – 7164 positions
4. Secondary School Teachers – 7002 positions
5. Metal Fitters and Machinists – 6816 positions
6. Motor Mechanics – 6444 positions
7. Accountants – 5478 positions
8. Construction Managers – 5178 positions
9. Software and Applications Programmers – 5004 positions
10. Structural Steel and Welding Trades Workers – 4482 positions
If you are employed in one of these occupations and would like to find out if you qualify for a Skilled Independent Visa, take our points test today!