These visas are for the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
Heterosexual and same-sex couples may apply for an Australian partner visa.
Partner visas are granted in two stages. The first is a two year provisional visa. After this period, couples are reassessed against the criteria of the permanent visa.
Depending on whether the applicant is inside or outside Australia at the time of application will determine which visa they are eligible to apply for.
Partner Visas are processed in two stages
PROVISIONAL PARTNER VISA
The provisional partner and spouse visas (Subclass 820) are granted for an indefinite period (until superseded by the permanent partner/spouse visa) and are conditional that the relationship of the applicants meets the criteria of the permanent visa.
PERMANENT PARTNER VISA
After the two year waiting period of the Provisional Partner Visa, the Department of Immigration will assess applicants against the Permanent Partner Visa criteria.
Applicants must be able to prove they are still in a relationship with their partner or spouse.
Once approved, the Permanent De Facto Partner or Spouse Visa is unconditional and the visa holder may live in Australia indefinitely whether or not the relationship continues.
• The applicant must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
• The applicant must have been in a relationship with their sponsoring spouse or de facto partner for at least 12 months.
• The applicant and sponsor must be at least 18 years of age.
• The applicant and sponsor must have proof of being in a genuine relationship
• The applicant and sponsor must remain in a relationship for two years before the permanent part of this visa is granted (Unless exempt)
There is no age limit for this visa.
HEALTH & CHARACTER
All family members must meet the health and character requirements. All applicants over 16 must provide police clearances.
How long will it take to get a decision on your visa?
801 – Partner (subclass 801):
75% of visas are processed within 10 months
90% of visas are processed within 19 months
Processing time for subclass 801 Partner (permanent) visa and 100 Partner (permanent) visa is from date of eligibility (2 years after the 820/801 or 309/100 application is lodged) to finalisation.
309 – Partner (Provisional) (subclass 309):
75% of visas are processed within 21 months
90% of visas are processed within 28 months